Do you love candles? Well, here’s some great news for you. You can turn that passion or hobby into a full business—and you don’t even have to make one of them.
How do you do it? You sell candle kits!
What Are Candle Kits?
Candle kits are box sets of candles that come with everything one needs to make candles. The standard kit will include:
• Containers (the flame-resistant kind!)
To make candles even more creative, you can add candle-making fragrance oil, the scent of which can spread in the room thanks to the heat, and beads to give the candles some shine.
Candle kits come in small, medium, and large sizes, ranging from enough supplies for five to ten candles up to 20+ depending on the kit. Occasionally, you’ll see kits for votive candles or tea lights. But most candle-making kits revolve around traditional pillar-style candles.
Why Candle Kits Are a Big Hit
Candle-making is serious business. According to Grandview Research, the global market for scented ones could achieve a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of over 3 percent between 2021 and 2028. By the end of the forecast period, the revenues will be almost $780 million—and this is just one kind of candle.
But why are candle kits popular?
• Candle making is a relaxing activity. It’s a great way to unwind after a long day because it doesn’t take a lot of time. Although the cooling period takes a while (between 5 and 48 hours, depending on the wax used), the first essential steps can take an hour or less.
• The process can be fun. People get to play with wax and molds, which are enjoyable experiences in themselves. This is especially true with kids (though keep in mind that candle-making may not be best for toddlers).
• From a business perspective, selling candle kits is economical. You can buy the items, including fragrances, in bulk, so production costs are low. This allows you to compete in the market. You hardly have to hire additional help unless it’s peak season or the demand is incredibly high.
• Scented candles also help mask odors in small spaces such as college dorm rooms, and many Australians live in tiny spaces these days.
• Depending on the materials used, candle-making appeals to environment-conscious customers. The kit itself may be from recyclable materials and cardboard packaging.
• Candle making can be used to make special gifts for people.
• It is an excellent beginner project for children or teens who want to learn about art and science.
• Candle-making kits make excellent gifts, especially now that the holidays are around the corner.
• People can sell these kits for fundraisers.
• You can make money by selling candles online using sites like Etsy.
How to Sell at Etsy
One of the best places to sell your candle-making kits is Etsy, a website for handmade unique goods. Here’s how to set up and begin offering your craft at the website:
1. Understand the Fees Involved
Etsy earns from sellers in different ways. Knowing the costs will help you set the best markup price for your candle-making kits. Currently, the site charges the following:
• $0.20 listing fee, which is charged per product, not per month or day (it’s good for four months or until the product sells, whichever comes first)
• 5 percent transaction fee if you sell the item
• $0.25 payment processing fee on top of the transaction fee when you make a sale
• 15 percent off-site ads fee (off-site ads mean the website advertises your products in other networks outside Etsy; you pay this only when you generate a sale from these ads)
Etsy guarantees that it doesn’t charge any other fees besides these. In other words, the site aims to be transparent with sellers.
2. Register an Account
You can open an Etsy account here. You can use your e-mail address or Facebook. Etsy can also connect your Google and Apple accounts.
3. Choose Your Preferred Plan
Etsy has everything you need to start selling and managing every aspect of your business, from marketing to delivery. To do this, it offers several features or tools, which you can access through mobile devices:
• Custom website design
• Social media management
• Etsy and off-site ads
• Creation of coupons and sales
These are all available under the standard plan, which is free. However, if you want to see and use more tools, you can upgrade to Plus, which costs $10 a month. By doing this, you will have:
• Customisation of your store’s look
• 50 percent discount on your web or store address (hosted by Etsy)
• More comprehensive inventory management tools
• Advertising credits and bonus listings
As soon as your page is set up, you’re good to go. You can already begin selling your candle-making kits and hopefully make lots of money in the end.